A few weeks ago, we concluded a conference of pastors and their wives from Uganda, Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, Congo, and many other African countries. We hosted almost 300 Pastors.
The beauty of this conference was that Pastors were encouraged to come with their wives. We had great speakers like:-
Pastor Jose and his wife Carman
The theme of the Conference had two important areas:
1. How to raise Godly Christian family/children &
2. How to Lead the church. Pastor Phil is an experienced man who founded Solid Rock Church in Portland Oregon USA.
Looking at the whole week as a leader, I was so much encouraged to see leaders passionate and hungry for God. This was reflected in the way they attentively listened to the speakers, in prayer time and during question and answer time.
We came to realize that there is a huge need to equip Pastors and to address the issue of the Christian family, and the way to begin is for them to have health families.
Pastor Phil and his wife DianeTaught the leaders on how to raise Godly families and they gave key areas in introducing children to Christ in discipline, in character development and many other areas on parenting.
PRINCIPLES OF PARENTING
Ten things to teach your kids
1. Teach them (Eph. 6:1-3; Heb. 12:5-11)
2. Teach them self-control (Gal. 5:22-23; prov. 29:11, 19:18-19, 16:32, 25:28)
3. Teach them how to work hard. (Col.3:23-24; prov. 14:23, 22:29, Luke 17:10)
4. Help them discover what they’re good at. (prov.22:6)
5. Teach them to walk with Jesus. (John 14:15, 21:15-17, col. 2:6-7, 1 john 2:6)
6. Teach them to love the scriptures. (Ps. 119:11, 97, 103, 165)
7. Teach them to love the church. (Heb. 10:23-25, 13:1, john 13:35, 1 john 3:14)
8. Teach them how to deal with conflict. (Eph. 4:15, 25-32; col. 3:12-15)
9. Teach them a theology of suffering. (Phil. 1:29, 3:10, John 16:33, 1Pet. 2:19-25,
10. Give them the gift of a great marriage. (Eph. 5:22-33; 5:18-19, song of songs 5:16)
One final word of advice: have fun as a family!
Irene and I
Talked about serving God together as a couple and Pastor Jose concentrated on church leadership.
During two of the sessions, I shared about the four phases of ministry in the life of ministers. This is a message that God has been developing in my life and I have had the opportunity of deep Godly life-long development through my classes at Fuller Theological College.
God bless you and I pray that God will bless your ministry and your life.