CHANGE ATTITUDE FOR 2013January 10, 2013
WHY DO YOU SEEK THE LIVING AMONGST THE DEAD?March 31, 2013
The last few weeks have been so exciting here at Gaba Church as we have been discussing and sharing on the work of the Holy Spirit. Through this study I have been so much encouraged to know that the Holy Spirit is readily available to help me as God’s child to pray better and serve the Lord better. Below are some major areas where the Holy Spirit helps us as believers.
1. He convicts of our sin and he draws us to Christ for salvation. John 16:7-8 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment. NIV
2. He is a counselor, a helper and comforter. John 14: 15- 17 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. NIV
3. He guides and reminds us of the teachings of our Lord, especially in time of need, in trouble, in witnessing etc. John 14:26; But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 3:3 – 6 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. NKJV
4. He gives us the ability to pray and He leads us to pray according to God’s will. Roman 8:26 – 27 “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. NKJV
5. He gives us Spiritual power to be a witness for God and the supernatural works of God. Acts 1:8. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” NKJV
6. He makes us fruitful, that our character glorifies God. He gives Victory over the flesh.Gal 5:16-24 “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. NKJV
7. He gives Spiritual gifts, which enables to serve God. 1 Cor 12:4 -11 “There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same[b] Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. NKJV
8. He is a seal and stamp in our lives, showing that we are marked and chosen for Christ. Eph 1:13-14 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who[b] is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. NKJV
What an amazing opportunity we have as God’s children to enjoy the sweet fellowship of the Holy Spirit.
You cannot see him physically but you can feel his presence, you can experience His power in your personal life daily. He is not a force or a thing, He is God himself His has a personality and He desires fellowship with us. He reveals the Father and He reveals Jesus to us. He cannot force Himself on you He is like a dove, but you cannot succeed and shrive in your walk without Him.
Can you plan to give Him some time, in prayer so that He can fill you up, renew you and empower you for service.